We have a fantastic career opportunity for a career-conscious senior project manager to join a thriving construction consultancy in their new Manchester office.
The consulting firm was established in 2014 initially in London and has grown rapidly to reach 120 employees in London, Bristol, Brighton, Manchester and Leeds. They provide cost management, project management and building surveying services to a healthy 50/50 split of private and public sector clients, many of whom are blue chip organizations and developers. It is a young and dynamic company with an excellent culture. It has sound plans for sustainable growth, state-of-the-art systems and software, and has a flexible working policy.
The Manchester office is headed by a Regional Director with over 30 years of hands-on experience, developing successful cost management and cost management teams for some of the UK’s best-known industry names. He is looking to appoint a Senior Project Manager to support and develop his established clientele and some recently won projects.
The role of the Senior Project Manager is to independently lead and manage construction projects from start to finish, without supervision and with minimal guidance from management. The role involves working collaboratively with a diverse team of construction professionals and stakeholders to enable projects to be delivered safely, on time and on budget, while ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction .
What does the role consist of?
- Manage projects of varying size and complexity, undertaking the day-to-day project activities of a project manager, but providing superior support and representation on projects as required
- Support other senior managers in project delivery and internal processes
- Guide and direct project team members to ensure adherence to standards, procedures and guidelines established by the company
- Ensure the strategic monitoring of the project
- Support Associate Directors in resource management, expense management and reporting
- Maintain and support good working relationships with clients by acting as the primary point of contact for inquiries, if required
- Undertake a review of lessons learned, implement changes for future improvements
- Ensure internal systems are kept up to date, e.g. Unions Square, financial and resource tracking, and timely signing of invoices
- Support in conflict resolution
- Internal governance such as reviewing flash reports and principal signatories on approved documents
- Ensure compliance with customer gateways and their governance processes
- Supervise and support junior colleagues working on projects, as appropriate
- Undertake the production of fee offers with the support of the application team and associate directors
- Actively participate in the mentoring and training of internal staff and CPD activities
- Project identification Key performance indicators
- Interfacing and working in collaboration with the client and other consultants
- Comply with workplace health and safety provisions and CDM 2015 regulations, including escalation of any HSE issues
- Always take personal responsibility for the health and safety of myself and others by working within the framework of the health and safety policy and procedures
- Any other task reasonably required from my role
What skills and experience might a person need to take on this role?
- Ideally, accredited accreditation with at least two years of post-qualification experience
- At least eight years and over, relevant work experience in the construction industry in a similar discipline
- Ability to deliver larger and more complex projects throughout the project lifecycle
- Excellent technical / project knowledge based on experience
- Ability to delegate tasks to others within the team and support their work
- Support junior team members with mentorship and development
- Development of leadership and management skills
- Ability to manage fees and assist with fee offers
- Generate new work through customer relationship management
- Ability to work on own initiative to generate new business
- Understanding of the account management process
- Ability to analyze projects and report performance to line manager
- Excellent knowledge of internal systems and processes in order to advise and guide others
- Excellent knowledge of CDM and construction health and safety
The company looks for the following personality traits:
What skills and experiences might a person need to develop to become an associate director?
- Fully accredited accreditation or with significant experience in the relevant discipline
- Demonstrate a wide range of relevant experience working in the construction industry and strong construction, business outreach and procurement procedures
- Ability to support Group Managers and Associate Managers in the development of services such as training and recruitment
- Relevant experience in managing key accounts receivable
- Relevant experience in the management of high added value projects and demonstrable success of financial experience to achieve business objectives
- Relevant experience in the management of complex and technically demanding projects
- Excellent and consistent oral and written communication, negotiation and presentation skills
- Demonstrable ability to manage and develop individuals and / or teams
- Experience in delivering projects and team resources and performance
- Experience in business development